Well it's kinda true... I have had a few ask when I post about making delicious things if they can have my recipes. So I am granting "those few" their wish and I'm going to try and post a few of my best recipes a month. More specific, I'll try and do 2 a month, but we'll see how that goes ;)
These are going to be detailed with pictures and everything, because that's the best way to do it! But I must warn, most of my recipes are a bit complex by normal standards. Because I may not cook that often, but when I do, I do it right ;)
To start off, I want to do one that's proved to be most popular with people I've had over and of course Steve!
It's my made from scratch Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients for crust (don't be alarmed, it is super easy, and unbelievably scrumptious! But you will need a food processor):
1 cup of butter (2 sticks) cubed first and then chilled in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before starting
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp Kosher salt (it's the best for cooking!)
8-10 tablespoons of ice water added one at a time until dough is the right consistency
Directions for crust:
Put the butter, flour and salt in the food processor and pulse lightly until the mixture resembles wet sand. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing briefly after each spoonful of water that's added. Keep adding the water until the dough barely begins to gather from the sides into larger clumps:
Then transfer to a pastry sheet or other floured surface:
Knead dough slightly (just until it all comes together although it will still be a little crumbly).
Then cut into two equal pieces and place into separate baggies. Once in the bag, knead each of the dough pieces into rounder discs and place in the refrigerator until ready to use (around 20 minutes).
Meanwhile here's the ingredients for the filling (although these may vary depending on your preferences):
1 large chicken breast or 2 smaller ones, cooked and shredded (I prefer to boil it in seasoned broth for around 25-30 minutes (or until it's all white inside) depending on the thickness, since that's the way that shreds the easiest, you can also then use the stock for your gravy)
| about this much when cooked (hand shredded is the only way to do it!) |
1 can of White Shoepeg Corn (Green Giant is my preference, and of course you can do frozen if you like too)
1 can of Cut Green Beans (Green Giant again, you can also do frozen here as well, it just requires more prep)
Boil together for 10 minutes
1 cup of petite baby carrots
and 2 medium red potatoes sliced into bite-sized pieces
1 can of chicken gravy or if you boiled your chicken you may add some corn-starch to the stock to thicken it up and use about 1 cup of that.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Take one of your dough discs out of the refrigerator and roll out on floured pastry sheet. Make sure it's large enough to fit into a glass pie dish

Carefully lift dough off pastry sheet and place in your pie dish
1 can of chicken gravy or if you boiled your chicken you may add some corn-starch to the stock to thicken it up and use about 1 cup of that.
Place all of these ingredients (the cooked chicken, corn, green beans, boiled carrots and potatoes and gravy) into a medium sauce pan and slightly warm over medium low heat until ready to place in your crust.
| So colorful!! |
Carefully lift dough off pastry sheet and place in your pie dish
Pour in filling
Take remaining dough out of the refrigerator and roll out big enough to place over the top of the pie. When placed on top, pull edges of crust together so that you can crimp the edges (just do so with your fingers), then make an egg wash (1 egg yolk and a little warm water mixed together) and brush on top with a pastry brush
You then need to vent the pie, I like to cut in an initial for someone
I wonder who "E" is for? ;)
Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown
Wait 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving. Should serve 6-8 and makes a wonderful Sunday family dinner meal! Serve with a nice green salad and rolls! Hope you enjoy!!






5 comments:
Really? You're posting pictures of amazing food when you know you have a pregnant follower?! OH My gosh! This looks good! And thanks for putting like, easy directions. I can't stand reading a recipe i can't understand. Keep it up! And...Desserts are always yummy. :) Just an FYI!
Oh yes, I have some fantastic desserts I'll be putting up as well!
Oh my goodness, Alisha! Do your talents never cease? What a scrumptious looking recipe, and what a beautiful blog! Pat your self on the back and treat yourself to a nice hot bath, you brilliant woman, you!
Left an award for you on my blog. :)
http://wolfsonsafari.blogspot.com/2010/10/versatile-blogger.html
looks so good!
Post a Comment