One week post-partum, everything fresh in the brain still, still sleep deprived but no longer clouded by narcotics ;) Actually stopped those after day 3.... really prefer the pain over the way I feel on them.
So here it is. And truly it was perfect in every sense of the word. Better than I could possibly ever imagine.
With Em, my pregnancy was rough and labor was even rougher... luckily her delivery was not bad at all. Ryker's pregnancy was even more difficult with an emergency gallbladder removal at 20 weeks, and a broken rib due to excessive coughing from bronchitis at 30 weeks, which lead to pre-term labor, stopped with nifedipine taken every four hours until I hit 35 weeks when my doctor felt comfortable for me to go off of them.
Contractions started early on in both my kids' pregnancies, around 24 weeks with both. Though mostly inconsistent, and pretty sporadic. They begin to get more frequent and consistent toward the end.
I have measured at least two weeks ahead of my original due date of December 10th from the very beginning, so I got bumped up to weekly appointments sooner than normal. My first weekly appointment, I was measuring the same as I had the week prior. My doctor was a little concerned since I was really good with growing each time, but not enough to have her considering any action yet. But she thought that by the next appointment, if I was still measuring the same, she would consider inducing me. Now this is where a lot of confusion came in from my family. This is also where I want to say that I have the most amazing doctor this time around, and I could not be happier with my instinct to go with the doctor that had ended up delivering Emarie (even though she was not my doctor for her pregnancy). I couldn't say enough to have a woman OBGYN. Not only does she really know the female body, but she's had four kids herself, so she really knows pregnancy, labor and delivery too. Now she does not believe in inducing unless there's a problem or you are past your due date..... Ok, so now that we've got that out of the way... on with when labor began....
Like I said contractions were no stranger to me and by Thanksgiving, I was having some pretty good ones, so I knew labor was coming. By that Sunday, I was having very frequent, strong contractions, I thought we might have our baby by that night. But I figured if I could sleep through the contractions, that they probably weren't enough to send me to the hospital. Besides, I had a doctor's appointment next morning, the appointment turned into an all day thing though. After checking in at 9:15, I was told that they were already behind.... really behind! Apparently she'd had a scheduled c-section, followed by an emergency c-section and then when I was lead back to a room because she would be on her way there (already undressed mind you!) I was apologetically told that she had to attend to TWO more deliveries after her c-section. Many patients were talked into rescheduling, or coming back later... but I was already undressed and curious to see where I was at. Finally after being at the doctor's office for 3 hours, Dr. Grover finally got there, and honestly I felt bad for her! She looked so frazzled and you could tell she felt really bad for making me wait. She is amazing and I can't say enough about how glad I am that she is the one that cared for me and my baby boy for 8 months! She was aware of everything with Em and did not press me to do any prenatal testing, nor did she think I should have to go through the same torture again that I did when Emarie was born. So she did check me and I was 3 centimeters which surprised me since I never dilated on my own with Em. However, I was only about 50% effaced and my uterus was still pretty posterior (really far back and hard to find.... excruciating for them to try and check too!). I was not measuring the same anymore, but only a tiny bit more, so she wanted me to go in for a non-stress test to make sure my fluid levels looked ok. She didn't think she would have to intervene unless things looked worrisome there since she was sure I would be having this baby within 48 hours on my own. Non-stress test was scheduled for later that afternoon, fluid levels were fine, but his base heart-rate was a little low at first... they kept me a little longer, and it looked better toward the end.
That night we went to get some more painting supplies to finish up the baby's room. While we were there, I was feeling really frequent contractions, about every 9-10 minutes. Again that night I was thinking we would have a baby, but I was able to sleep through the contractions again... though this time it was much harder. I was up for good at 5 am on November 27th and couldn't go back to sleep, and at that point, I was pretty sure we were going to have our baby that day. Still, I didn't want to go to the hospital until they were 7 minutes or less apart. And they still didn't seem strong enough to me. In fact the contractions I had at 30 weeks were much stronger. Steve didn't go to work, but I thought it might still be awhile, so he put a coat of sealer on the floor boards in the baby's room, which had a really strong odor and was really making me sick. So after a bath and getting myself dressed and then Emarie ready for school (we asked grandma to take her though), we decided it was time to go to the hospital, my contractions were 7 minutes apart at this point, but I still didn't feel they were that strong, so I was expecting to get sent home to be honest.
We arrived at the hospital at 11:30 am that morning, and after getting dressed in my gown the nurse came in to get the monitors on and check me. Well, I was dilated to 4 1/2 centimeters by that point, but still only about 60% effaced and very posterior still (man it was terrible for them to check me when it wasn't in the right place!). After an hour, the nurse came in again to check and see if I'd made any progress to see if I was staying or not. Not a whole lot of progress, so she said it was likely that I was going to go home, but that she would call and talk with my doctor. At that moment a commercial came on for Dunkin Donuts and I decided that I needed a donut. Steve graciously complied and hurried downstairs to get me one. While he was gone, the nurse came in with an IV bag and a bunch of other supplies and asked, "So do you really want to go home today..... or would you rather have your baby??!" I was a little taken aback, so she explained that Dr Grover thought, given my history of Em's delivery, that my posterior uterus might not move on it's own, just like I didn't dilate on my own with Em. So she wanted to keep me there, come and break my water in a bit... possibly start pectocin if needed. So when Steve came back with donuts in hand, I excitedly told him I wouldn't be able to eat it! He was confused of course, so I asked him if he wanted our baby to come today?
So it began....
After they started my IV, they were supposed to watch me and see my progression, but my Dr believed she would need to at least break my water to get my uterus to move in the right position and avoid a c-section. They asked me if I wanted an epidural or anything for pain, I declined seeing as my contractions were still not bad and I figured I would get one after she broke my water. The nurse wrote the date on the white board, and below that "Welcome Baby....." and looked at me expectantly. I had to tell her that we hadn't completely decided on his name yet, and we had decided to wait to see him for that. She was just fine with that, so finished it with a "?". My contractions progressed and got stronger and closer together, but still not too bad. Steve and I talked about what he would look like, if he would look like me, Steve or Emarie. We watched a little tv, talked about Em and how she was at school and if anyone suspected I was having my baby today.
We had decided long ago.... even before we were pregnant about how we wanted things to go differently the next time we had a baby. I don't say this ever, But Steve and I both worried the day Emarie was born that we might not ever take her home.... we did not know if she would live with how her birth went and how they were talking. And the grief of that day was publicized for everyone that was at the hospital, which was a lot. We have no pictures from her actual birth since it happened so fast and they whisked her away for several hours afterward. It has caused me so much pain to think about that day.... so much so that I have a hard time hearing other people's birth stories, or seeing their wonderful pictures and videos. I wanted everything to go different this time. That meant that we didn't want anyone there with us until we had our time with him. Some people may still not get this, and that's ok, it's what I wanted, and that's all that mattered. And we were very blunt about this from the get go. I worried that I might need to keep people from knowing I was in labor, to make sure that my wishes were respected. But a few people ended up knowing.
Because of the no pictures from Emarie, I wanted the complete opposite for this baby. I thought about hiring a birth photographer, even though Steve would have his camera, I wanted pictures captured of all of us, at all the key moments. So I asked my best friend if she would be willing. Lacey has taken some amazing pictures for us before , and since she knows us, I know she would be best to capture everything I wanted. She has a new little guy of her own at home, who is just over a year. So I was worried that the birth would come at inconvenient time. What's even harder is that she had just started a new job this month and was worried about it happening during work hours. But I had to have the mentality that we would still have some amazing pictures from Steve even if Lacey couldn't make it.... but luckily, everything worked out perfectly. And a lot of the pictures in the video below are ones that Lacey captured.
Going back to the birth. I had gone until 5:30 and had dilated to about 6 centimeters and 90% effaced, but still that darn uterus was very posterior, so that is when Dr. Grover came in to break my water. I was relieved to hear that the fluid was clear, since Emarie's was anything but! Almost immediately after she broke my water, my contractions finally started to get strong! I thought maybe it was time to get an epidural..... however the first nurse I told must have forgot since half of the nurses had to respond to a "code white" in the ER parking lot.... which I was assuming was a baby being born there. But after another nurse came in, she got the anesthesiologist and I got my epidural around 6:30. Things became a little easier after that, and the next time I got checked around 7:30, I was a 7, baby's heart rate was dropping a bit at this point too, so they put me on an oxygen mask. By 8:15, I felt the urge to push and told the nurse.... she was skeptical since I was only a 7 about a half hour ago, but she checked me and with eyes wide she said, "You're right! You're ready! I'll call the doctor, she's only 5 minutes away!" I had been sending Lacey updates so that she could be ready to come at the final moment too, she as well is only about 5 minutes from the hospital, so I told Steve to text her to come. 5 minutes later, Dr. Grover walked in, and two minutes after that Lacey did. Oh, and I had had them turn off my epidural about an hour before this because I wanted to be able to feel my legs and know exactly when to push. I did not have to push Em and so I was excited and a bit nervous for this part. It took maybe 5 good pushes and less than 5 minutes and our little boy was here!
Steve had told me right before Dr. Grover got there that he did not want to cut the umbilical cord. He is grossed out by this, haha! But he didn't get the chance with either of our kids since they both had it wrapped around their necks pretty tight at birth. Which is why baby boy's heart rate dropped here and there.
I have never been so relieved and happy than I was the moment I heard my boy's first cry! It took what seemed like an eternity for Em to cry.... and baby boy was almost instant after the cord came off his neck. Even though there's no sound to the video clips below, you can see me say "He's crying!!". I also was so excited for all the rest of what I didn't get to experience with Em's birth- them putting him on my stomach, being able to hold him, kiss him, talk to him and love on him. I held him for a few minutes, before they took him to finish cleaning him off and weigh him and such. 7 lbs 15 oz and 20 1/2 inches! Great size!! All the nurses were commenting on his crazy hair and perfect little head.... which I was Sooo relieved about, since Em's head was so small, I was worried his would be bigger and therefor harder to labor. But I guess I just have small headed kiddos! After all that was done, they gave him back to me in just a diaper for some skin to skin. After I had loved on him awhile, I told them they could wrap him and give him to Steve, and he had his little hand clasped on my gown and cried when they took him away from me! My heart was so full at that point. And I want to thank Lacey for being there, but also just doing her thing, so that at times it was like she wasn't even there. The nurses had heard bits and pieces of what our birth was like with Emarie, so they let us keep our little guy a lot longer than is typical. When I got him back from daddy, I nursed him and boy was it painful, but wonderful all at the same time! This was also a first for me since Em was never able to nurse. Then I realized he needed a name. So we said both names a few times to him, and it was easy to see that he was clearly a "Ryker" :) And I love that both of my kids are named after people that were taken far too young and still are very dear to me. Of course Emarie's middle name is after my sister Breanne, and now Ryker's middle name is after my cousin Brooks. Ryker also came on a significant day, his grandmother Karen's birthday! She has a twin (Kenneth) too, so it was Ryker's great-uncle's birthday, and another great-uncle (Bob) on my other side of the family. Also one of our wonderful Chromosome 18 mom's, Dana as well! What a great day for him to come to the world!
And I guess it was the week for babies! As I had already mentioned how many babies my Dr had delivered the day before.... and while I was on the labor & delivery floor, they were completely full! No rooms left! And by the time we made it down to mother/baby, same thing... FULL! They were even over-flowing to the pediatric wing! So Ryker may meet a lot of kids one day that share his birthday! We were told that there were 9 babies born during the day that day, and another 12 that night! And of those 12, only one was a girl! Crazy!!
Stress reeks havoc on Steve, and the poor guy began to suffer from an allergic reaction and had to leave to go get medicine. Luckily he made it back in time to capture some pictures of our Ryker in the nursery getting his bath and such, and I was taken down there shortly after. Once the nursery brought him back to me, I held him all night. Like I said, I didn't get that with Em, so I was absolutely content to just snuggle him all night long. And Steve was completely passed out from all the Benadryl, so I got him all to myself!
The next morning is when we began to tell people that our baby boy had arrived, but we did not share his name or pictures yet. We wanted people to know his name when they came to meet him, and for far away family, when they received an email with pictures later that night. And we said we would be accepting visitors after his sister had met him later that morning. Em was a little unimpressed with him when she came around ten with Steve's parents (video and pictures of people that came to visit will be in the next post), but I was hopeful that she would warm up... and I was right.... mostly ;)
We had many visitors throughout that day and evening and I was so proud to show off my new son! Em also came back and hung out with us that evening so her grandparents could go out to dinner. That night I did have him go to the nursery for part of the night since it had been an emotional day and I wanted to be able to get some sleep before we went home the next day.
Ryker had a few minor problems while we were there. He had swallowed an excess of fluid, so had to be suctioned out and they even did a chest x-ray to make sure none was in his lungs. But he was clear. But he also had problems breast feeding, which I know is very common, but frustrating! His blood sugar was a little low, so we did have to give him some formula in the hospital since my milk still hadn't come in. He did not tolerate it though and threw up I believe every ounce of the two bottles he had! After meeting with a lactation nurse, she thought it might be a good idea to have the Dr clip his tongue since she could see it was tied in pretty much the same place Em's had been.... right at the tip. So Dr Bailey our pediatrician (also one amazing doctor!) did that and his circumcision the morning of the day we went home (which was Thursday the 29th). He did not like the tongue clipping, but surprisingly was not too bothered by the circumcision, and yes I was there for both! So was Steve, but he mainly stayed in the corner ;) We left the hospital around noon that day and I can't tell you what an amazing feeling it was to leave with my baby!
Adjustments have been hard, and no one's getting much sleep this week... but my milk came in on Friday the 30th (3 days later) and Ryker is slowly, but surely becoming a champ with nursing! Though it is clear that he has reflux just like his sister since he can projectile vomit up to 3 or 4 times during a feeding! We might have to do medication by his next Dr's appointment if it looks like he needs it.
But he is the sweetest baby! Even when he cries like a pterodactyl! Not exaggerating on that one, I will share a video of it in another post!
We are all in love with our little "Ry Guy" and we're so glad he decided to join our family!
Now here's his birth video.... maybe it's my emotions, but I can't make it through without crying every one of the hundred's of times I've watched it! A million thanks to Lacey for the heartfelt pictures, and Steve for his pictures and videos. Now all those birth videos that I have always been so jealous of.... I have a perfect one. And it is clean, so no need for worry about what you'll see! Now for optimum viewing, make sure it's set to 720pHD and full screen :)





6 comments:
Beautiful!!!! Wonderful! You are not the only one that cries watching it!
Great Job Alisha! This is such a beautiful and PERFECT birth story. I can't describe how happy I am for your BIG family! You and Steve deserved this. What a blessing from God. Thank you so much for all your kind words, but really I am the privelaged one to be present during such an amazing time. The video was amazing. I of course couldn't get through it without tears too...which is wierd at work, lol. Love you all FOUR of you!
What a beautiful video and story! I can so relate about the two different birth stories. We were so nervous to have our second child after all the trauma with Stone's birth. When you cried in the video because he cried, I cried watching it. It brought me back to that place 7 years ago when Genna was born. Unless you've been through a traumatic birth, and then a "normal" birth, you just can't understand the emotion that comes with it. I am so glad to you to experience an "easy" birth. Congratulations to you and the whole family :)
Michelle Phillips
That is really the sweetest, most wonderful video. I doubt there is a mom out there who could get through that without tearing up. It captures everything perfectly. I'm happy that your birth story got to be everything you wanted it to be.
What a beautiful birth story! I am sure going through what you did with Em really made you appreciate how well things went. Oh, and it's not just you and the pregnancy hormones, I cried too...right before they handed you little Ryker.
I'm so glad it all went well! It made me emotional too, I remember Lily's birth and crying and crying, and the doctor cried, too! What a sweetheart. Congrats and I hope you can enjoy this sleep deprived time together. I do remember with Lily thinking the nights were nothing compared to when Emily finally came home from the hospital! But then Lance had colic, which was tough. But nothing compares to Emily tough! Hopefully it's the same for you!
Post a Comment