Ok, so most of you know what has happened this last week. And if you don't, you either don't ever see me in real life, or don't read this blog AT ALL, or have not seen any of the thousands (bit over inflated) posts on facebook about it. But, I will tell you anyway :)
Emarie had her tenth, yes that's 10th surgery! And no, I'm not really excited that my not even 3 year old has had ten surgeries....I'm just doing the best I can to make the most of everything at this time in my life!
And my goodness, there couldn't have been a bigger more elaborate surgery to induct her into this hall of fame! Although, it did not turn out to be as extensive and elaborate as we were first lead to believe (can I get an amen here!)
But, here it is, Em had a Bilateral Varus Rotational Osteotomies. Which in laymen's terms means, she had hip surgery to correct a displaysia she was born with. For those of you that don't know what that is, roughly it means, her legs never fully went in the joints correctly. We tried every measure imaginable to correct this without the drastic means of surgery, including a "Pavlic Harness" and a brace (which is pictured in the previous post). And we thought we did well. When the last x-ray (done after her cast removal from feet surgery) showed that everything was just where it was supposed to be. When I asked Dr. Stotts if we needed to worry and keep monitoring, his response was that it almost never reverts back, at least not in all of his years of practice. Well, what can I say? I know this, and now Dr. Stotts can no longer deny it, but my daughter is always the exception, ALWAYS!
I have been preparing myself mentally and emotionally for this ever since the day we found out that surgery was the only other option (I won't go into the details exactly, but it was on this post). Dr. Stotts was not one to "sugar coat", he told me plain and simple, that this would be the most painful thing Emarie would probably ever go through. When I asked him if it would be worse than her feet surgery (because from that, I had never seen her in more pain after that first night), he told me that most likely it would be. So, I wanted to prepare, because I was not prepared for the feet, and I promised myself that night, that I would never allow for my baby to go through that much pain again, because quite literally, it was just unbearable. I am so glad I prepared, because, I was so happy with the outcome.
Emarie never ceases to amaze me, and this was no exception. I really don't think that she ever showed that she was really in pain. I mean don't get me wrong, she was frustrated, and mad, absolutely! But wouldn't you be?? She is quite literally in a 3/4 body cast, that goes from her armpits all the way down to her ankles. I don't know about you, but I'm sure that would piss me off! Especially if I couldn't understand why I had to wear it, and if it was EVER going to come off! I have tried to explain this to her, but I don't really know how much she gets. But, even now, she's getting use to it, and accepting it. And really, it didn't take nearly as long as I thought!
Ok, now what you've all been waiting for, the pictures! So here they are!
First waiting room, and latest check-in time we've ever had....10:15 am! Totally loved that!
Of course we found a ball to play with while getting stats and getting changed
All changed and ready to go, and SO happy too! Too bad that means she has NO clue what's coming :(
Not really fond of this one of me, but it's the only one of me that exists from the whole ordeal, thus it goes on the blog!
These two ALWAYS look cute together!
Going back with the anesthesiologist, who we think must have been a rookie, because he was very thorough in his rundown of the side effects of anesthesia (guess he didn't know WE are veterans)
After that we waited for what we thought would be at least a good 5 hours or so. But, it only ended up being about 4 1/2 before Dr. Stotts came in to signal the end, and he had nothing but good news to share! First off, he wanted to let us know, that he didn't have to do anything to tighten the joint. No screws or even extra stitches in there. Once he shaved the femurs a bit, and put them into place, they went right in and secure! Which meant that she would not have to be in the dreaded "spica" cast for longer than about 3 or 4 weeks by his estimation.....hello, that is the BEST news EVER! We thought for sure it would be about 6 weeks! So, that cut her time in half!
So, after a bit, I was able to go back and see her
Not a peep from her! Just stared at me. Which reminded me of her feet surgery in Post-Op, which was really the calm before the storm. But, this time I was prepared! And it never came, WAHOO! I am really so glad that this was not as painful for her as I expected it to be, since really there's no amount of preparation in the world that can get you ready to see your baby in that much pain.
After about an hour of me being back there with her, she finally felt like it was safe enough to go to sleep
Ok, now no amount of preparation can make you ready for this thing either!!
The dreaded "Spica"
Yes, we couldn't decide on either of these colors (I really wanted her to have pink though, since it was never used on her feet, unbelievably!), so Dr. Stotts decided to give us BOTH!
The first of MANY wagon rides! Really, sometimes this was the only thing to keep her mind off of things. But, not so great when she would scream when we'd reenter her room! We got smart and would let her fall asleep before we made our way back (sneaky parents!)
First day she let me do her hair! And one of many visitors that came, uncle Bryan!
Did I mention many wagon rides?? By the way, we have since purchased one of these (well my grandma actually)
Daddy holding Em, which proved to be a little challenging, but we're getting the hang of it!
What the wonderful volunteers from the Forever Young Zone and Childlife Specialists made this for Em. This seriously amazed me with all the detail and time that went into this. I mean every little detail was mimicked, right down to her button!
And the "twins" together!
So Emarie spent all of about 6 days total in the hospital. Which is not bad, when I thought we'd at least be there a week! It would have been sooner, save for those darn o2 levels. The doctors finally came to a conclusion that Emarie may have a suspected sleep apnea. Which shouldn't really surprise me when it is so conducive with her syndrome, but still not something as a mother that you want to hear, when your little girl has so much else going on.
So, we were told we could go home finally, under the condition that we put Em on oxygen at night and follow up with a home sleep study in a couple weeks. So, we'll hope for the best on that.
Also, the last day when Dr. Stotts came in, he tentatively scheduled when she would get her cast off. Sadly, the week he thought it could come off, he will be out of town, so that put us at the 31st, which falls just under 5 weeks. But, who am I to complain, when I initially planned on 6?!
Waving "bye bye" because we're finally taking the wagon and getting the heck out of here!
First day home, and still haven't been able to keep her awake!
So, sorry for the long post, but it was a big one! My favorite highlight from the whole ordeal? Well, really there were a lot, but this one topped them all! Was, the nurse who was a good 9 months pregnant having a "dance off" of sorts with Emarie! I really wished we'd gotten video or at the very least a picture of this, but it didn't happen :(
And I really wanted to take an opportunity to thank all those of you that have prayed or sent words of encouragement our way, because it really paid off!
Em has also received a lot of gifts during this. Including activities and books, but also one of my Ch18 moms purchased a bean bag chair for her to sleep in while she's in the cast (but it's highly fashionable and will match her room perfectly for afterward too!). My next door neighbor bought her a whole bunch of nightgowns since that is the only thing she'll be able to wear to bed for the duration of this cast. And my grandmother purchased a wagon for us to tote her around the house in, and will be fun for years afterward as well! Unfortunately, the bean bag and wagon had to be ordered online, so they aren't here yet. However, we have found both of these things to borrow from friends and family until hers come.
This all means to me beyond what I can even begin to express. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all!




6 comments:
You are amazing alisha! I'm so happy so many have helped and she is amazing too.
Wow. I am so impressed how happy she is in all of these pictures. You have such an amazing daughter. She is so strong and such a trooper. I know you hate this saying but I stands SOOO true for her-God doesn't give us anything we can't handle. I think she can handle more than most grown adults.
And you are so strong going through this too. It's unbelievable the mother you have become. Love you tons!
Sounds like she's doing great. I dreamed about Emarie last night. I think I fell asleep while praying for her. Anyway, she was walking and giggling. I hope this comes true very soon. Hugs!
Update! Em has now been completely off of narcotics for almost 24 hours! She is doing wonderful off of them! I've totally got my happy little girl back, not the one that all she wants to do is sleep all the time! Wish we'd tried it sooner!
She looks so adorable, even though I know she is uncomftable...I can't help but smile when I look at those darling pictures.
Thinking of you...also, send me your home address on my email. I've packed it in the move, and need it:)
Thanks
Hey Lish, sorry I didn't send my well wishes sooner, I have just been in my own little world the last week! I think that cast is one of the most awful things I've ever seen, poor thing! She is such a brave girl,and you are a tough mommy to go through all that too! Much love, Melissa
Post a Comment