This post is mainly meant to be humorous. But, hopefully, years down the road, someone will need my help with this experience as much as I've relied on others who've gone through it. In that case, it will be a bit of a reference to look back on, so to speak.
Life has definitely been more interesting with Emarie in a 3/4 body cast, otherwise known as the "spica". We've learned a lot, and so much so, that I have to share!
1. I've gotten much stronger. That thing has added a good 15 lbs to her weight, which has made me appreciate that she was small to begin with.
2. Bathing this little girl has been a challenge, but thanks to the wonderful Camille (who went through this with her daughter Emily), we found the best way to do this:
That's right, she's on the kitchen counter. That way with the extendable faucet, we're better able to wash her hair without the risk of getting her cast wet. For her body, we use what the hospital used for the duration of her stay, and they are rinse-less sponges, called Bedside-Care EasiCleanse Bath, they are great!
3. As I mentioned above, this cast has added about 15 lbs to my daughter's weight (making her around 35 lbs), which as you could guess, gets a little tiresome to tote around. We decided that we would need one of those large wagons we used at the hospital.
This works both great in the house! And outside, which is why we have a detachable umbrella
4. Since this little pumpkin can't move around, she needs less food, otherwise she vomits exorcist style! However, try explaining this to the Dysphagia Team (eating clinic), specifically her dietician, and they treat you like you're some kind of imbecile. I mean really, you think I want to starve my child?? However, per their request, we are trying to lessen the amount of pedialyte, and up the amount of formula, and we shall see how it goes.
5. I will never again, and I repeat, NEVER AGAIN complain about changing a diaper!! I have yet to experience a changing of the diaper in the "spica" that takes less than 20 minutes! And yes, that's just a wet diaper!! The other kind can take almost an hour! Add all that together with the position you have to hold this child in (which is sideways, with one leg up in the air), you tend to get a shower once and awhile :) It is much better to have 2 people (sad as that is), but it is possible with only one. We are using a combination of a size 3 diaper stuffed into the inside of the cast, with a size 6 wrapped around the outside. In the back I have a Maxi-pad cut into thirds up and around the back. And around any edge (around the legs and stomach) there are pantie-liners cut in half. Funny thing about those, I guess my grandma thought they were some kind of stocking that came and folded over the edge of the cast. She was admiring it saying, "This is really cute" I could not understand what she meant until she explained what she thought it was. Pretty funny! There's also what's known as "petaling" all around any of the edges that are close to skin. It's a type of brown, soft-cloth tape. It also has to be changed quite often as well (around twice a day).
6. I would not recommend becoming sick when caring for a child in a "spica" in fact, avoid it at all costs!
7. We have received countless offers of advice during this whole experience, and we've used some of them. However, we have found, as I'm sure everyone did and will, that after you play around a bit, you find what works best for you. In fact, the diapering was the biggest in the differing of opinions. Of everyone's advice we got, no one's way was the same. And no one was right or wrong either. We sort of took bits and pieces from everyone, and that's what ended up working for us! So what I'm trying to say, is it's nice to get advice, very nice! But in the end, we always find what works best for us!
8. Apart from the diapering and the narcotics, this whole experience hasn't even seemed to phase Emarie. She is still the same sweet little girl as before. The only thing she ever complains about is diapering, but I'm sure it's just as hard on her as it is on us! From the pictures, you can tell that does not look like fun! And when she was on the narcotics, all she wanted to do was sleep (can't really blame her). But apart from all that, this girl is just as happy and chipper as can be, and she never ceases to amaze me!!
Lots of glare on her glasses in this one I know, but I just love how it shows how her personality ALWAYS is!! She is my rock, my inspiration, my hero.
Maybe not now, or even in a few months, but I think somewhere down the road we will look back on this experience fondly. And that is only because we had Em as an example!




6 comments:
Oh my goodness!!! What a great, memorable post my dear. She is seriously an amazing child. And the whole diaper changing issue... WOW. You are a SAINT. I cannot believe how long it takes to change her little diaper! Micah just said "I would let her roll around diaperless and clean up the carpet!" Lol. I just rolled my eyes. I really hope you get feeling better soon, I can't imagine how hard it is being sick, and doing all of this! I admire you so much. Loved this post, thank you for sharing :)
i seriously needed to read this right now. everyone always thinks that their life is so hard and terrible, (like me right now) and it made me feel so silly and almost stupid to be complaining when i read how hard your littlest tasks are right now. give emarie a kiss from me & miles and hopefully i'll see you tonight, you need a little break : )
I LOVE that last photo of her and her little attitude. Oh my goodness what a mess that would be! You guys are so strong. It reminds me of all of Bama's dressings constantly. I hope you feel better!
Look at those smiles on that precious girl! She is one amazing little person! What a joy she must be in your life! And you, Alisha! What a strong woman you have become! You just keep adding to your store of experiences that you can refer to when you think, "Well, if I could handle _____, I can handle this!" You go girl!
Bless you all! Such darling smiles coming from a really hard situation. Lots I can learn from that.
And...I feel your pain on the 35 lbs being difficult to carry around! My Deak is pushing 33 and is killing me!!!!!!
Wow...diaper changes look challenging!! Sounds like you guys are doing great. Halfway through!!
Post a Comment