CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 20, 2010

The tables have turned my friends....wait....when and how did that happen??



I am referring to the fact, that I can confidently say that I am an advice giver, confidant, and mentor.
Well......when it comes to a special needs issue, I guess. Ok, maybe I'm not confidently saying it exactly, I just know that a lot of parents (mostly in the Ch18 family) have sent emails or FB messages, asking ME, of all people, advice on different issues that we have dealt with. So, I guess the real credit here, goes to Emarie. Yes, this little kiddo has been through the ringer, so that I could be "an experienced one". I really at one point thought that I would never be at this point, or at least it wouldn't be for a really long time. I was always the one needing someone else to help me with this and that. Still am, don't get me wrong. There were at least 4 parents I was in pretty regular contact with before and since Em's last surgery. Ones who had gone through the same thing with their children. And I am so grateful for their help and advice, and their letting me know what to expect. I guess that is part of the real purpose though. To learn and grow from our experiences and challenges, and then to use what we have learned to then help others. And all of us special needs parents are on this journey together. Well, really all loving parents are on this journey together. 

Please don't think I'm trying to brag here. I am just really honored and grateful that anyone thinks enough of me to ask for my advice or help.

This sweet mom in particular

And her cutie-patootie!

Yes that cute little guy had his first ever surgery! So, mom was going through it for the first time, and I was honored when she asked if I wouldn't mind being with her and Brighton that day. I of course, accepted and I'm sure glad I did. For one thing, it was nice to meet Brighton, although I've known Marci for awhile, this was the first time I've met the youngest of her 2 cute boys (oldest is Levin). Marci and I have started getting together recently, but mostly we do it sans kids :). For another reason, it was really nice to see this from a typical kid perspective. I'll elaborate on that:

 Brighton had tubes put in his ears, which is something Emarie has to have done frequently, and subsequently, they both have the same ENT, Dr. Muntz. 

Emarie's ear tube surgeries take at least 45 minutes for her to be under, mostly due to her tiny ear canals, and also because usually she has an ABR conducted. Brighton only had to be under for around 20 minutes, I was so surprised when Dr. Muntz came in the waiting room that soon! 

Emarie's fastest time in the Post-Op was about 2 hours. Brighton was able to leave in about an hour, because he didn't have any problems breathing afterward, which is generally why Emarie has to stay, most of the time all day. 
Hmmmm.....
Maybe we should consider doing this before the next time Em goes under
Brighton has issues with his lungs, so had to undergo a nebulizer treatment before his surgery. Sadly it's very routine for him, he knew exactly what to do. The NP was marveling at his willingness to continue to put his mouth on the end of it! He's so sweet!!

I mean, I guess I always knew it was different for typical kids, it was just neat to see it first hand!

That day, I was grateful for my so called "experience" with a child in surgery, so that I could be there for my friend in this undoubtedly scary situation. Marci amazingly didn't even cry when she handed little Brighton over to the anesthesiologist (I blubbered like a baby when I did at Em's first surgery)
Do you see the "fist" Brighton is giving? That kid's got fight in him!

All in all, I was just really happy I could be there....Brighton is a little sweetheart, and so is Marci.  I am happy to know them, and have them in mine and Em's life! Marci came to see Em when she was in the hospital just barely....which was beyond my expectations. I certainly hope, that I can and will exceed expectations all the time. That is the kind of person I strive to be.

"You may not mean a lot to the world, but you could mean the world to one person"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally crying right now.... The tears are running down my cheeks. This is so sweet!! Really, one of the nicest and sweetest things ever. I feel so honored!! You have no idea how much you have just made my day.. Especially since tonight has been a rough one. This has made up for it! I am so thankful you could be there with us as well :) And going to see Em was my pleasure! I'm still upset about the gift shop being closed though! I love that little picture of Brighton SO much! The fist.... Sigh* So dang cute! I absolutely love the quote at the end of this wonderful post as well, it's perfect and SO true!

Love you and am so blessed to have you in my life :)

Alisha said...

Oh I'm so glad!! I was so worried about wording the part about comparing the surgeries right. I wanted to make sure, that in no way, shape or form was I minimizing Brighton's!! It's just amazing how different it can be for a child that has all of his DNA in place ;)

I'm glad I could have brightened your day a bit :) You are such a great mom and friend!!

Bama said...

Alisha you are going to be a light to so many people the rest of your life. I'm so happy you could help marci, and I'm sure other C18 moms will be calling you! You are AMAZING.

Candice said...

It's so interesting to hear your story about Em's tubes. Graham was in and out in 20 minutes. The surgery took about 10 minutes and they only kept him in recovery about 10 mintes. He took a long nap when we got home and was back to his old self when he got up. Amazing huh?

You're a good frined Alisha.

BTW, I have been reading Marci's blog for some time now. beautiful family!

Shelby said...

Great post Alisha! Even from the beginning, we were very "driven" (I would say almost desperate on my part) to make contact with other parents to learn from their experiences. There are not many Tet18p kids and I still remember that bittersweet feeling the first time we learned there was a new baby younger than Alex-relief they had found us and an intense desire to share with them. If we can pass along information or share experiences or even physically hold another mother's hand, that's the very best feeling. To take away something wonderful from some not so pleasant times and procedures. I'm so glad you can share that support in person, and so happy that you're able to share it with others via your blog as well! That's certainly what precipitaed ours-that desire to share and be connected across the distance with other families. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Candice! So is yours!