Play song, "As I'm Leaving" with this post
Feels so weird to even be saying this out loud. But I am done teaching for now. Finished my last day on Friday (27th). And reality hasn't really set in yet... maybe due to this extraordinarily busy, fantastic weekend. But probably it won't hit until the new school year- When I start with my colleagues, and don't have a classroom to prepare, or a list of anxiously waiting parents, wondering if their child got in our program, to call. A stack of letters with blank name-tags, that I will later fill out with my students names, sign my name on the letters, along with a personal note about how I'm looking forward to the new year, all to send out to addresses all over Provo. No back to school night for me. Meeting those shy, yet excited faces, and trying to figure out what place this child will hold in my classroom... my heart. Will they be the trouble maker, the know-it-all, or the shy one?
Feels so weird to even be saying this out loud. But I am done teaching for now. Finished my last day on Friday (27th). And reality hasn't really set in yet... maybe due to this extraordinarily busy, fantastic weekend. But probably it won't hit until the new school year- When I start with my colleagues, and don't have a classroom to prepare, or a list of anxiously waiting parents, wondering if their child got in our program, to call. A stack of letters with blank name-tags, that I will later fill out with my students names, sign my name on the letters, along with a personal note about how I'm looking forward to the new year, all to send out to addresses all over Provo. No back to school night for me. Meeting those shy, yet excited faces, and trying to figure out what place this child will hold in my classroom... my heart. Will they be the trouble maker, the know-it-all, or the shy one?
Maybe it's hit a little. I know it hit hard as I hugged those wonderful children goodbye on Wednesday.... as I told their parents how much I've enjoyed teaching their children. Some parents were sweet to thank me for all that I've done for their kids. One mom in particular really brought me to tears with her sweet words of what a difference I've made in her son. I'll tell ya, that he was not an easy kid when we started. But, at the end, he's grown so much, probably more than most. He's polite, a good listener, hard worker, and most importantly a good friend. This is what I'll miss most. Seeing my children progress into their capabilities. Seeing them accomplish things that we've all worked so hard on, and knowing that I had something to do with that. If only a small part, because my biggest accomplishment is teaching them independence, so that the credit for everything they achieve can go directly to them.
Another little girl, was a transfer into my class around November. She had to be moved to me because she was a behavior problem in a special ed class (we have a few Title Ones in select special education classrooms for different purposes. But if they're ever a problem, they have to go to a Title One class), things were beyond rough at first. But this is the goodbye note I wrote in her book:
I am so proud of the young lady you have become. Remember when you first came to my class, and I had to separate you from the other girls in the class? Remember how you couldn't participate in games with us because you got so upset if you didn't win? I almost can't remember this time, because it has now been so long since you've shown any signs of the little girl you use to be.
All I see now, is a confident, sweet, helpful, happy young lady, that I am sure will go far in life. Thanks for learning with me my last year. I am going to miss you more than you will know. I hope you always remember how special and great you really are.
Love,
Ms. Alisha
Anyway, I won't go on anymore. Because this post was meant for something else as well. It was also Emarie's first year of preschool completed, and I'm so proud of how far my own girl has come. She may have been a little reserved in class, but that didn't mean that she didn't do a lot! And one thing, was her end of the year program. Here's some photos and video of the day :)
Em's class performing "I'm a Little Apple Tree" (their favorite song) for their program for the last day of preschool, May 25th 2011. And for the record, Em does all the actions on her own when she watches this, just wouldn't perform on the day ;) Funny story too, the first day they learned this song, Em did a real sneeze right at the perfect moment, made everyone in the class laugh (that's my girl!) Also, most of her good friends are sitting right near her, Neeka and Autumn in the back (Autumn is the one sitting in Ms. Kirsten's lap), and Addy next to Em, Grayson was the boy next to Addy, Em liked to chase him on the playground ;)
A few pictures too :)
Em after the program, so cute in her little outfit :)
And this was actually the next day, I took Em with me for moving day and let her watch Tangled a few thousand times on the promethean board (she loved it!) The only draw back is, I was only able to capture her with 2 of her teachers. But we got a picture of Em and Ms. Desiree at Deakon's Run :)
That's Ms. Kirsten holding Emarie (one of the assistants) and her teacher Ms. Jamie (we love them all!! And are hoping to wean Em off her afternoon naps so that she can be in their class next year!)
So long 2010/2011 school year!! We'll miss ya!




2 comments:
Wow, we are totally in the same boat, aren't we?! Such a bittersweet feeling. Being a teacher is part of your/my identity. It feels so unnatural to move on from that. You seem like such a nurturing teacher- I loved that note you wrote. So sweet! Your school will undoubtedly miss you.
I taught 5th grade. I miss the kids, but love the extra time at home with my girls :)
Post a Comment