CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sleep Study Success? And a Bit of Nostalgia

We quickly got Em's last Sleep Study Fiasco rescheduled, and went the night after Memorial Day. It was as much of a success as it can be.... meaning they got a reading, but it was a less than stellar night. You can all now appreciate the fact that sleeping on a pull-out bed (and pull-out from a small chair, not a couch!) is less than appealing to me in my pregnant state. I'm already having trouble sleeping in my own comfortable bed, so this is almost torture on my aching body. Steve is nice and offers to go, but unfortunately he can only go on a Friday night and of course those are the first to fill up. So I went, and even with a smile on my face ;) 

I don't know why, but every single one of our 5 times at a sleep study, they always seem to choose Em to hook up last.... regardless of if she's the youngest there or not (and most of the time she is)! So sometimes, it's not until after 10pm that they even start, and it takes over an hour to get everything on! Granted we were about 15-20 minutes late this time (lost track of time as I was cooking dinner).... but still! 
This was the dinner I made, mini meatloaves with mashed potatoes and cheese on top.... divine! 

Back to the sleep study.... 
This was as they were hooking her up, and as you can see, very, very tired already! 

Of course though, it still took a couple hours for her to fall asleep since she likes to get silly and then grumpy because she wonders why we aren't home. 

But here she is finally asleep
Amazing how peaceful she looks in all that! 

She woke up I'd say at least 5 times that night... which is more or less usual. I slept a grand total of about an hour! I certainly missed my "Moog" at home :( That is the name for my pregnancy pillow that saved me at about the 15 week mark with Em... and I had Steve fish it out of storage at about 7 weeks this time... 
Yes, you'll have to get one if ever you're expecting.... well worth the money! 

It also didn't help that this baby of mine was trying out some new acrobatics, which unfortunately didn't play too well on my already stretched bladder! It didn't help that the only bathroom in the clinic (which is already a distance to walk) was out of order, making for an even longer walk to the next clinic over. And I'll say I waddled there no less than 5 times during the night! 

We made it the whole night though! Em woke up at her usual time of 5 am, she does this a lot, but usually goes back to sleep after no more than 15 minutes, makes it real fun on those days when we're about to get up for work in about an hour :/ Anyway, since they have cameras on her and could see she was awake, they just decided to end the study then, a whole hour earlier than they would've. Whatever though, I had been awake the whole night, so it didn't matter to me! 
waking up...

And after all that gunk is taken off... 

the infamous hair picture!

We for sure faired better with the hair this time, then the last "successful" sleep study...
Sleep study from September 2011

And it takes dish soap, and at least 3 washes with a medicated shampoo (t-gel) before you can get all the glue out of her hair!

So now, we will have to wait until the end of the month to get the results. But I was already told from the tech that night that although she never needed oxygen, she is still showing significant obstruction.... which means most likely we'll be looking at that dreaded surgery. But if it will help her, then we will do it! 

Now the nostalgia part of the title.... I don't know why I thought of this that night, but I do see how significant it is in light of recent news. That night as I was desperately trying to fall asleep, I couldn't help think of Em's very first sleep study the week of Christmas, and how cute she looked in the Christmas outfit that a fellow Ch18 family had sent her. I received news last Saturday that Mandi Fisher had passed away at the young age of 30. She left behind her husband Jason, and her sweet little Mckenzie, who like Em has 18q- and is only 2 years old. I hope you'll keep this sweet little family in your prayers. This news absolutely broke my heart, and news of how we will help honor her life is coming in a following post. 

1 comment:

Candice said...

That pillow is too funny. How does Steve fit in the bed??

I know all about sleeping in precarious positions while pregnant. When I was pregnant with Graham our flight got cancelled when we were on a layover so we had to sleep on the airport floor!