CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 1, 2013

New School, Loads of New Progress!

Emarie has been attending preschool for the last 3 years in Provo district where I worked. But as of November when sweet little Ryker was born, I have quit working there. It got really hard to take her and pick her up each day, especially considering she was only there about 3 hours a day. So we talked seriously about placing her in Apline district where we are now living. This was an extremely hard decision to come to because I know everyone at the school and in the kindergarten class she would have gone to in Provo, including the children, who were the same she'd been going to school for the last 3 years. I know how they do their IEP's, they have all known my girls since before she was born, they love her..... It was really, really hard to even think about her going anywhere else.... But we decided we'd just check things out and found out she could go to one of 3 schools:

Dan Peterson- an all inclusive school in American Fork, meaning it is a school just for special needs children and all the way up to 22 year olds. 

Hillcrest- a typical elementary school that has self contained classrooms.

Orem Elementary- same as above ^

We have had a few incidents that have persuaded us to think about placing Emarie in an all inclusive school. She never had any bad experiences at her preschool even though she was around typical children there. But that is part of something I have always known, children will see disabled children no differently if they grow up and are around them regularly. So that is one strong point to keeping her in a regular ed school.... but does that always benefit her? 

We went school shopping well before we decided anything
 Her backpack was her favorite thing we got at Target that day, and she hugged it all through the store and all the way home! And she still hugs it on the way to and from school everyday! Though she had a bit of a tough time deciding between this one and Minnie Mouse, I'm pretty sure she's confident in her decision with Rapunzel ;) 
And here she is will all of her school stuff.... she actually picked out her first day outfit when we were in Park City at the end of July (don't hold your breath, but still hoping to do a post about that!)

So we decided to make an appointment to just go look at Dan Peterson, and after that we were completely sold! They have a sensory room that Em absolutely loved! They also had an all adaptive playground that is all wheelchair accessible and she loved that too. 
 My two cute kids enjoying their swings! FYI it was another 100 degree day when we went, so we stayed out there as long as we could stand.... but it wasn't very long (Utah has had the hottest summer in history, with over 20 days of record breaking heat, and July held more days over 100 degrees than under :P)

The principal there was someone I could see myself being friends with and she had taken the time to find out about Emarie from the preschool before we came that day, which I don't know many principals that would do that with their busy schedules! They also have 3 full-time nurses there everyday, which put me at a lot more ease knowing I wouldn't have to worry so much about her allergies and asthma, nor her feedings. 

So it was a snap decision.... our tour was Wednesday, we did her IEP and special healthcare plan on Monday, and she started for the first day of school on Tuesday (the 20th of August). Here are some pictures of her first day :)

The traditional front porch shot, she was eager to get going, so wasn't very cooperative for these
But thanks for the subtle smile Em :) 

This is once we got there, and again she was eager to go inside, so she wasn't having it! I love this outfit she picked out at the Carter's outlet in Park City

This is once we got in her classroom, she was a little nervous, but that really didn't last long!

This was her teacher trying to ease her nerves by asking her to help her set up their next activity.

So they want her to be there all day and she will be in full-swing with her services, did I mention they have a pool for PT??! But since she was only use to being at school 3 hours a time and 4 days a week, I thought it best to try and ease her into it.... So the first week she started at 12:30, which sadly was only one day because she woke up the next day with the stomach flu and her little brother got hit hard with strep and hand, foot and mouth disease! We still aren't sure how or where he got so sick, but there'll be more on that later.... 

So the next week was when she finally had her second day and she started going at 11:30. And next week she'll be starting at 10:30, and the week after that will be full days and hopefully she will be on the bus both ways by then. I am still having to take her and pick her up at this point because we didn't get her info in enough time for her to be on the bus right away, but I'm told they're working on it, so hopefully after labor day sometime that week she might start going home on the bus. 

Her second day (which was the next Monday), her teacher told me that she used verbal communication and said the phrase "red star" during a shape game they played. This was not a repeat of something she'd heard, this was her telling them which one she wanted..... So this was not only saying clear words (that all the adults in the room understood mind you!), but it was knowing what color red is, and what shape a star is! I know my girl is smart, but unfortunately not many are privy to see that..... it took her until year 3 to say a single word in preschool! She signed, pointed and communicated in other ways before that, but 3 years before she spoke a real word in school..... day 2 at this new school and she said something I've never even heard her say! More solidarity that we made the right decision.... but hold on until you see what day 3 brought....


This is something her teacher showed me on her third day of school. She handed it to me and said, "Obviously she has been worked with and taught how to write her name, but we never saw any info on that in her IEP....." I was blown away as I said, "You mean..... she did this by herself??" And then there was shock on her face..... I told her she has written her name with lots and lots of help (hand over hand type help), and then we both had tears in our eyes. This is proudly being displayed on the fridge! 

So I'm sure you will be seeing much more amazing things from this girl, I am really excited about this year! 

2 comments:

lyn. said...

I am so sad we we don't have Oakridge as a special needs school anymore in Provo District!!. Especially when I see the success in schools like Dan Peterson and Oakridge in Alpine and Nebo Districts...

Annie Bourgerie Janmohamed said...

Wow! That's so awesome to hear about her progress! Such a smart girl, and Dan Peterson sounds awesome! This will be an amazing year for her. Can't wait to hear more about her progress! Go Em!