CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 6, 2013

7,8..... and mostly 9

As you can gather, I haven't been the best about giving monthly updates for our little man, but we still have been taking pictures of him when he hits his monthly birthdays, so I will just give you those and then this will mainly be a 9 month update.


Month 7

Between months 7 and 8, while we were in Park City, Ryker got his first ever haircut... which sadly he already badly needed! The cute girl that cut his hair is Steve's youngest brother's girlfriend, Melissa. And the other girl helping in the picture is their friend Morgan. They did such a good job!

Month 8



And now onto Month 9


Milestones

Crawling- This boy has been army crawling since about 5 or 6 months, and he got so fast at it, I really thought there might be a chance he would never really crawl. But he does that too now, started in about month 8 somewhere, he started using his hands and knees to crawl, but still prefers that army crawl, so that is what he does most of the time, and looks like a little lizard in the process ;) And I am constantly stain treating the belly, legs and arms of his clothes.... no matter how clean you think the floor is, somehow he seems to swiffer it for us, so I affectionately call him "swiffer" from time to time ;) 

Pulling to Stand- Like sitting he did not like standing at first, so was never really making any progress in that area. But he came to love sitting and had it down within an hour once he decided he liked it. Same with standing, it was like overnight and then he was doing it with amazing proficiency! He has even gotten to the standing position without anything to hold onto once or twice, so we may have a walker on our hands soon.... which I am SOooo not ready for!

Talking/Babbling- This little guy definitely knows what "mom" and "mama" mean now and he uses them A LOT! His preference for mommy has not changed and it is pretty common to hear him call out "MOOooooouuuuuuhhhhhmmmm!" Anytime of the day! He also uses the word "baba" for any food. So if he wants to nurse, it's "mama baba, mama baba, mama, baba" over and over. When I sit him in the highchair, he states "baba" over and over until he gets something in his mouth, and then it's "MMMmmm!" He'll still say "dada" and other things like "hi" once and awhile too, but the first two mentioned I believe he is using with real intent. 

Dancing- This little guy also just started dancing one day a month or so ago. It was so cute!! Singing too! I have yet to catch this on video, but he will sing now too. Particularly with this toy guitar that Steve's mom has, it is a Backyardigans one and he will crawl over to it, put his hands on it to make it make music and he'll rock back and forth and sing in coo, it is adorable! 


Clapping- I too have not been able to catch this one on video, but he started clapping somewhere in month 7 or 8. So funny, because he does it all the time, you'd think I'd be able to catch it at least with my phone! 

But I do have this little dealy too :) 
He does this little trick all the time too, and usually much better than what I caught on video, and he knows it's pretty funny!


Sickness
Sadly I have to report that this little guy had his first real taste of what it is to be miserably sick :( You can even see a hint of it in the 9 month picture above (a few left over blisters on his right foot), and he was actually pretty miserable for that picture, yet he was so good to smile! But somehow this poor little boy caught both hand, foot and mouth disease (that's what caused the blisters) AND strep! My poor baby was so miserable for about two weeks with the sickness, and the antibiotics he was on gave him tummy issues, which prolonged the miserableness. It was just all around awful and so sad to see! For four days he had a fever over 103, mouth sores and a really sore throat, so he wouldn't eat much for about two weeks. During the first week, Em was also sick with the stomach flu, so I had quite a task keeping everything sanitized and the two of them apart. But despite my best efforts, Em got hand, foot and mouth as well. And although her blisters were much worse and covered her whole body, she didn't have any sores in her mouth, no fever and no strep.... so it hardly seemed to affect her at all (and that's my girl!)


Eating
Aside from the time he was sick, he is doing great in this area! I have "fun" making all of his food with my Baby Brezza (as mentioned in his 6 month update), and he is trying a variety of foods all the time. I know the things he doesn't care for, but thankfully what he does like far outweighs what he doesn't! He really wouldn't eat any vegetables or finger foods the whole time he was sick, but he would eat fruit, and I really was surprised he'd do anything than just breastfeed. But now that things are back to normal, he is breastfeeding 4-5 times a day and eating 3 full meals with snacks in between. His favorite in the vegetable realm are definitely sweet potatoes (really yams), and yesterday I tried a new recipe with sweet potatoes, leaks and parsnips and he loves it! It actually smelled pretty good when I was making it, so I tried some and I even thought it was pretty good! He also loves peaches (but they are my least favorite to make because they're so hard to cut and they're slimy and messy! I finally figured out that it reminds me of cutting raw chicken and that might be why I detest it so much!), and mangos. He loves to drink anything, but I mostly just give him water in his sippy (but we did have to do a little pedialyte when he got so dehydrated during his sick time).


Clothing
Most of what he wears is 6 months, though he still fits in a few 3-6, and then there's a few 6-9's and 9 month clothing (which is all too big around him, so pants won't stay on as he's crawling, etc). Diapers, he is still comfortably in a size 2, but we're about out again and I have a ton of 3's, so I may try them and see how it goes.


Growth

Weight was just over 16 lbs, which put him in the 3rd percentile. A little frustrating since I know he lost a bit of weight when he was sick, but it's ok, he is just our string bean!

Length was 28 1/2", which puts him in the 62nd percentile.

Head circumference was 17", which puts him in the 17th percentile.


So that's our little munchkin at 9 months! Next update will probably be clustered again since this one took about a week to complete with my busy schedule!

2 comments:

Candice said...

Such a bummer that he got so sick! Glad that's over. I'm sure you are too!!

Camille Hammond said...

So cute! Isn't it amazing all the stuff they can just do? It amazes me all the time; such a miracle. I'm glad he's doing better now.