CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Confessions of an imperfect mother....

Play song, "Get it Right" with this post

So I would just like to lay some misconceptions to rest once and for all!

I am not amazing, I am not incredible, or anything else. No one should be jealous of the mother that I am, because really lately, I've been awful. And if I hear one more person say, "I don't know how you do it all!" I think that someone's gonna get hurt! Because the reality is, I don't do it all, not even close!

Here's a few reasons why:

I did not digest some recent bad news very well. I didn't necessarily break down, but after receiving the info that Em will have to have yet another hip surgery... what? I did blast mine and Em's two favorite songs from Maroon 5 (Sunday Morning and This Love) and sing at the top of my lungs and dance silly with Emarie laughing and following along in her car seat all the way home in horribly heavy traffic. I'm sure it wasn't unnoticed by my fellow commuters either. But it's enough to say that I thought when I wrote these posts, I didn't think I'd need them for reference for us again.

Letting Tangled be a babysitter for another. And yes, I can't believe I'm going to say, but I let my daughter *who's only 3 mind you* stay up past midnight watching Tangled for I'm not sure, but I'm going to say it was her 5th time that day.

My house is horrible... really. Sadly, thanks to the people who wanted to see it, that is probably the only reason that Em and Steve will have clean clothes now (I can go awhile before needing laundry done... girl thing I guess... and yeah I know Em's a girl, but she's still in the stage where she pukes, pees and does whatever else to her clothes constantly!)

I will attest to the fact that I have been busy with work, which is the reason my regular motherly chores have been neglected. Bringing work home and such. But I have to say that I helped my kiddos make some kick-butt Mother's Day gifts this year!! And I already got an email and a message on my classroom phone (yes I was there working today) telling me how much they loved the pictures and "handmade kid frames" made me glad to know they were appreciated :)

I also made the clear cut decision that I can no longer handle being a full-time working mother to a child with special needs. Just can't do it anymore. Kind of a slap in the face to know that even when you're giving you're best, it's still not good enough.... so, it's there that you have to come to the conclusion that it probably never will be enough, and that's when you need to be done. So I quit my job.... well sorta. I'll still be there next year, just significantly less hours, and different things than teaching. I will for sure be testing new referrals, as well as Title One kids with concerns. I will be in charge of artic screening (pre-test for speech), office help when needed, and possibly be head of the preschool website- which will mean going to all the events and photographing.

I will say that I haven't been completely bad, and maybe can rectify scraping together a deserving mother for Mother's Day reward *whoa, did that make sense? to anyone?*

I've enjoyed the fact that it's finally sandal weather (wahoo! over 80 degrees today *Saturday*! now that's May!)
But we're still staying on guard, because it has been on record that it has snowed in June in Utah (oh wait, yeah that was only last year)

I also helped design this shirt for Em and all her other buddies missing DNA ;)
In case you can't read it, it says: "Having all your chromosomes is highly overrated, because really I couldn't get any cuter!" And I know this picture would otherwise say, but Em really did have a good time today ;)

Want one?? Go Here

And we have enjoyed nice walks to the park.....

Where we were surprised by little girls with furry bunnies



Swinging is always great!



Even better with daddy!


Yeah this was right before she fell out of his lap.... just kidding, but almost. Just wanted to get the spotlight off me for a sec.... oh didn't work? Oh well, worth a try ;)

Bubble blowing in the yard





She wasn't very happy when we told her it was time to go in... but thanks to Tangled, it wasn't so bad

I managed to come up with a pretty good gift for my mom for Mother's Day (it gets harder each year to top the last. As you should know from this post, this is what we did for her 2 years ago on Mother's Day, and it was quite the crowd pleaser. And 2 years before that was when we informed her she would become a grandmother... so you can see, hard). But I think I did pretty good this year.

Had this in a picture frame with a sculpture
In case you didn't know, that is my sister Breanne to the right of Emarie Breanne. This picture of Breanne is over 20 years old!! Sadly Breanne passed away in a car accident over 16 years ago. I just love the technology of today! This was all Steve's artistry by the way, but totally my idea!

 Tonight (Saturday), we took my mom to dinner at Texas Roadhouse *love that place!*


And then after dinner, we tried to go home, but there were still people looking at our house... so we took an impromptu walk on the Provo River Trail. Shame we don't do this more often since it's a block from our house... literally!


 Yeah, I'm really lovin' the sandal weather!! And FYI, Em's shoes are 18 months and still WAY too big!!










When we were finally able to go home, Em helped make her gifts to all the "mother's" and grandmothers in her life


And yes those are finger print frames, capturing her most adorable school pictures :)

Well, that's that. I am not a perfect mother. I do love my girl though, and want her to experience many things... she just may have to do it in dirty clothes... well at least until June ;)

Happy Mother's Day anyway, hope all of the women I surround myself with (both physically and via internet) had an amazing Mother's Day worthy of your greatness (not perfect, but still great!)

Love,
The imperfect mother

P.S. This is my mom opening her gift today *priceless*

And yes she did tear up to see her granddaughter next to her daughter over 20 years apart.

3 comments:

Candice said...

No one's perfect, but you're doing a great job! Happy Mother's Day!!

K Rawley said...

You're a great Mom-I had to learn a long time ago that somethings simply DON'T get done like they used to-the dishes, the laundry, etc. But the time I spent doing something with my family instead of doing those things made memories we will all have for eternity!

Sara Beth Mortensen said...

I love the updates. Such a sweet girl!