I was just noticing today, because mostly I never pay attention to anyone else. But, today, I made a point to watch others. And it was sad what I noticed. At the store, most moms seem annoyed to be with their kids there. And I don't know, maybe they are just annoyed that they have to be at the store. Not me! In fact, I enjoy it sooo much, because my kid makes it that much better! Em and I have always really enjoyed shopping together. In fact, I don't think there is a place that Em could be happier than in a shopping cart! I mean, it even makes it difficult to get her in the dang thing, because she goes crazy when she's about to go in! And we really make the most of it too. I will wheel her around really fast, and she'll squeal! Or, I'll hop on and ride with her, and I don't really care what anyone thinks!
I always wanted to be a parent like that, one that enjoyed time with their kid to the fullest! I will never forget a time when I was about 14 and in the car with my mom at the gas station. There was a car parked next to us, with a man pumping gas, and all of a sudden he walked over to his back window and started dancing around, making funny faces, and jumping up and down. It was then that I realized there was a little girl in a carseat in the back that had been crying, and now was laughing at her "silly daddy". I will never forget that. He didn't care how he looked to everyone else. All that mattered was that that little girl in the back seat had a smile on her face, that he was responsible for.
I hope we all can stop and appreciate being with our kids. In 20 years, we won't remember if our house was clean, or what happened in our favorite tv show. But we will remember the time we spent with our children. Hopefully it will have been enough, and good memories.




6 comments:
I love this!!! I actually love taking my kids to the store as well. Levee and Brighton have so much fun. And that story about the dad dancing, how cute is that! I hope to be that parent. :)
That is so true. BTW, I love making a fool of myself for Graham's benefit.
Hahah this is so funny! Yay for enjoying time with the kiddos! Alex loves shopping in the big box stores- he also loves to ride in the cart. But when I try to mall shop, he starts crying as soon as we turn off the causeway into a smaller store. I was afraid he was developing a fear of new places but his dad pointed out he's a boy & realized small stores are where mommy lingers & shops! LOL You're lucky to have a little girl who enjoys that with you-how fun!!
You really are an amazing mother. Just the way you talk about your child is so different from how many others address the topic of their children. I'm so impressed with your long-term perspective, Alisha!
Beautiful post!! Thank you for the reminder. You are really an amazing mommy!!
Shopping used to be one of our favorite pastimes too!
Post a Comment