CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Just Plain Frustrating!! And flashback!





Ok, ok, so any of you that are friends with me on Facebook, sorry for the redundancy! I will try and stay upbeat and positive throughout this post, but I'm not promising anything!

I guess it really all started when Emarie had to start going to a new babysitter. A babysitter that has seven kids. I knew it was a possibility that she might get sick, since she's not really used to be around other kids. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to start her there two weeks before she was supposed to have her surgery, but we really didn't have another choice. Strep was going around their house, and Em tested positive last Sunday. We started the antibiotic and thought we should be fine in a week and a half. But she didn't seem to get better.

On Friday, she got worse, a whole lot worse. She vomited all night, including blood. We took her to the pediatricians after hours, and the on-call doctor sent us straight to UVRMC for suspected dehydration and possible pneumonia, where she was admitted to the pediatric unit. They tried four different times to draw blood for labs, and were finally able to get that. She also had a chest x-ray. But, after no less than about 10 failed attempts at getting in an IV, they decided to transfer her to Primary, where we have been ever since. Thankfully the "IV Team" here was able to place an IV in one attempt, which might have been partly due to the fact that she had a little bit of fluids in her at this point.


This is when we first got here. I don't think we've had this pathetic of a picture since she was in the NICU! She was completely listless at this point :( which is SO NOT like her!!

Since the chest x-ray did not look like pneumonia, they sent some of her mucous to the lab. And what came back was Influenza Type 3. So, she was on oxygen (with a few breathing treatments), and an IV of antibiotics (to prevent it from becoming pneumonia) and fluids. They also have had to suction her out, quite frequently, which has probably been her least favorite of the whole ordeal. The worst for us was the fact that we will have to wait 60-90 days to put her under anesthesia. Which means, most likely no hip surgery this summer. Yes, I know I was dreading and complaining about this upcoming surgery, but that did not take away from the fact of how important I know it is. And yes, we weren't going to have much time to prepare, but it was coming at the best time......right when I get out of school, so that I could spend as much time with my sweet little baby to help her recover. How can I possibly think to have this done when I'm at work full-time? Especially if she might be in the hospital for a week or more when it happens? And I have heard from more than one person that this is happening for a reason. Well, I'm not sure I agree with that all of the time. This is one of those times. I just don't see the benefit of putting this off any longer, if it will help her walk. If it doesn't happen this summer, then it will probably have to wait until next, which is a year away. It's just frustrating all of it, and there's no better way to say it!!

Thankfully, there is always happy endings. They started Em on actual food around 12, and she kept it down all day!! She has also not needed to be on oxygen since about 12 as well. And we're hoping it stays that way while she sleeps!! She no longer has a fever, and has been a lot happier! If all this keeps up, we should be able to go home sometime tomorrow!!

And some pictures:





New "jammies" and toys from mommy!



Couldn't resist posting a "flashback" picture! Here's the last "pathetic" picture taken of my baby at about 10 days old in the NICU. Hooked up to every tube you can possibly imagine!!



And after that tape came off..........



Soooo sad, but SOOO cute!!


3 comments:

Candice said...

If I were you, I would be so upset!! I know it's best to stay positive, but I'm sure you want this surgery as soon as possible. I know I would. We want to get Em on her feet. Hopefully it will be more like 60 days than 90 days and you will still be able to do it this summer. Hugs!

Sara JJ said...

I'm new to your blog and your world but have come as a fellow C18 blogger. I'm sorry it's so hard right now. give yourself time to feel that it's unfair and trust that you'll be able to look at it positively again when you're properly off red alert.

Bama said...

OH leash I'm so sorry that sucks. But she looked like she was feeling better and so cute!