So yes, I know I never did a 5 month update.... and the reason for that is because we never got his picture taken. The day he turned 5 months was the day my cousin got married and we were too busy that day, so we made plans to get it done the next day, and that was when we blessed him finally, so again it didn't happen.... then every time after that, something would come up and well by the time it really came to it, he was over 5 1/2 months, and I just thought it best to forget it. So come time for his 6 months, we made sure to get it done THAT day! So this will kind of be a combined update, and I will be doing a post about his blessing too, so it will all work out.
Milestones
-Showing preference for mommy- I both love and hate this. Daddy was always Emarie's favorite, and so when daddy was around, she couldn't care less if mommy was or not, which was sometimes hard on me. Now Ryker only wants his mommy a lot.... especially when needing comfort. So it has been hard for other people to watch him, and I always feel bad when I come to pick him up and he has been crying non-stop until he is in my arms. It also is hard when I'm home, but need to be doing things... he will let others hold him, but if he sees or hears me, he'll cry and reach for me. Hopefully he will not always be so clingy to me, but I'll hope he'll at least be a little bit clingy for mommy his whole life.... is that so much to ask??
Picture on top and the left are his first taste of avocado, and then on the right was his first time with oatmeal, he was a bit distracted when we did this which resulted in it getting all over his face, including his eyes! But as you can see, he didn't seem to mind ;)
Growth
Milestones
-Rolling- He rolled from his back to his tummy a few times long ago.... but only in a fit of rage ;) He then mastered rolling from tummy to back by 4 months.... then somewhere in month 5, he became pro at both, and now at 6, he uses it as a good way to get around.
-Scooting and Crawling- Like I said he is starting to get around places! And it's amazing to me that I can put him on a blanket on the floor, go into the next room for less than a minute and he will be on the other side of the room! Don't worry, there is no danger to him and I never leave him for long! So he mostly scoots, rolls and then he does a bit of army crawling to get around.... and I am sure we will see some real crawling very soon!
-Sitting- It seems as though he doesn't really like sitting, he really prefers to be on his belly because that is how he gets around the best. But he is a great supported sitter and can sit unassisted for short amounts of time and gets better every day. I think he would already have it down if he didn't get distracted and then fall onto his tummy to go check things out. He is already very busy!
-Babbling- He has quite a few sounds down pat! "Momma" "Dadda" "lala" "baba" and what sounds like "I love you". I love hearing his little voice and watching him figure things out by using it. I don't think he knows what it means, but still definitely makes my heart skip a beat when he calls "Mamma" on the monitor when he's ready to wake up. You will see and hear on the video below :) He also can click his tongue, but I still have failed to catch that on video.... but hopefully soon!
--
-Bearing Weight- has thankfully gotten much better! He did not like his legs much either at first, and only used them when he was mad.... are you noticing a pattern?? Steve's wonderful sister lent us the jumping toy he is in in the video above, and I believe that is what we can ultimately thank for his now found love of using his legs!
-Bearing Weight- has thankfully gotten much better! He did not like his legs much either at first, and only used them when he was mad.... are you noticing a pattern?? Steve's wonderful sister lent us the jumping toy he is in in the video above, and I believe that is what we can ultimately thank for his now found love of using his legs!
-Showing preference for mommy- I both love and hate this. Daddy was always Emarie's favorite, and so when daddy was around, she couldn't care less if mommy was or not, which was sometimes hard on me. Now Ryker only wants his mommy a lot.... especially when needing comfort. So it has been hard for other people to watch him, and I always feel bad when I come to pick him up and he has been crying non-stop until he is in my arms. It also is hard when I'm home, but need to be doing things... he will let others hold him, but if he sees or hears me, he'll cry and reach for me. Hopefully he will not always be so clingy to me, but I'll hope he'll at least be a little bit clingy for mommy his whole life.... is that so much to ask??
Eating
So happy to report how much better this area has gotten since his last update! Since his four month appointment, I made an executive decision to stop bottle feeding him breast milk, and just exclusively breast feed. It was a lot of work and very hard with Em's crazy schedule, but we did it, and it has made for some vast improvements! He went from the first percentile at his 4 month appointment, to just under the 5th (4.91 percent to be exact) at his 6 month! And he's gained nearly 3 pounds since then! So I definitely think I made the right choice!
We also started solids 5 days after he hit six months, and we began with a real "Ry pleaser", avocado! Yeah, he loved it! Nearly ate an entire 1/4 of an avocado like he'd been eating all his life! And today he had baby oatmeal for the first time.... which didn't go over as well as the avocado, but we'll try mixing it with something flavorful for next time. I am very excited that I purchased the Baby Breeza Prima from Williams Sonoma, I haven't used it yet, but looking forward to trying some fresh green beans in there as soon as our four days are up from the avocado (have to be careful since we are a food allergy family!). So I guess his reflux is still a problem, but it has gotten a lot better, he mostly just throws up toward the end of the day and his Dr thinks he will likely outgrow it by 9 months, and that is when he'll want to try taking him off the prevacid. But all in all this area of his well-being is great!
Picture on top and the left are his first taste of avocado, and then on the right was his first time with oatmeal, he was a bit distracted when we did this which resulted in it getting all over his face, including his eyes! But as you can see, he didn't seem to mind ;)
Growth
Weight- 14.57 lbs which puts him in the 4.91 percentile.... or 5th as we're calling it ;)
Height- 27 inches which puts him the 67th percentile
Head Circumference- 16.6 inches which puts him in the 16th percentile
Now as far as clothing goes. He can only wear a few 0-3 month things (mostly onesies), but mostly he is in 3-6 month and even a few 6-9 month depending on how the sizing runs. We are in another diaper dilemma at the moment though, and are limboing between sizes again. For the most part we have a system worked out. So during the day he is wearing size ones, and at night, I am doing my best to make a size 2 fit with whatever means and materials necessary ;) But it has worked, and we haven't had him waking up due to soaked clothes!
Teeth?? No teeth as of yet, but it feels like there might be some coming in sometime. As well as all the classic signs of a teether, including low grade fever once and awhile, runny nose, increased drooling and wanting to chew on EVERYthing!!
So they were very impressed at his check-up and after being assessed, he is above average in every area of development! ...... Well, except for growth, but he's made progress and they are not worried anymore, so that is all that matters!
We sure love this boy!!






2 comments:
Glad to hear he is doing so well! He sure is a cutie!
Sounds like he is doing great. You guys are doing such a great job with him and Emarie!!
Post a Comment