*Play song, "Days Like This" with this post
First off, I just want to say that the outpouring of love I felt after I wrote the last post brought new tears to my eyes. But different tears... gratitude tears.... heart full kind of tears. I am truly blessed to have such amazing, understanding family and friends on my side.
First off, I just want to say that the outpouring of love I felt after I wrote the last post brought new tears to my eyes. But different tears... gratitude tears.... heart full kind of tears. I am truly blessed to have such amazing, understanding family and friends on my side.
Everyone has bad days, but this one I have to relive over and over again.... it never gets better... and worse, it never goes away. It always comes back every year, and I'm sure some wonder how I can allow it to haunt me, but to that I have no answer... and I don't think I ever will.
Nothing can really make me forget the events of that day, but damn, this girl sure tried! The thought to have Em wear her aunt's dress and take a peach to class in honor of her was totally inspired literally the night before. I really had no idea how much it would mean, or how my girl could really turn the day around.
Moves like this for instance
Now, I did not take these pictures, in fact I wasn't even there when they were taken (I would have stayed that day, but I just couldn't). A big thanks to her teacher Jamie for showing them to me when I came to pick her up from school. And for letting me steal them. And an even bigger thanks to her and her assistants (Kirsten and Katie) for catering to my requests that day, it really meant the world to me and my mom.
Now, of course I'd want to return this favor one day if Em ever had a bad day... I just didn't expect it to be so soon!
Em had her first really bad day.
First, she threw up in the car right as we pulled up to her babysitter's house, and then again on me as I was trying to get her out... and then she cried because I think she felt bad. And no, she wasn't sick, this is just a regular occurrence (albeit an unpleasant one) for Em. I probably wasn't much help to the situation either because I was running late getting to my temporary teaching position, and of course I felt awful about that, therefor couldn't wait to get back to my sweetie to make things right! Well, when I got there, the first thing I noticed was an enormous goose egg on her forehead, to which I was informed she'd had a toy thrown at her by one of the little girls she's watched with (only 3 girls total there during the day, and 1 of them is Diane's daughter). I was not upset about this, I think because I am a teacher and know how kids can be. Plus I heard that Em had been throwing toys first, though I'm certain she can't ensue this kind of damage!
Diane also informed me of a mark on her foot from where she got caught in the stroller as they were trying to get her out. And at this point is when I realized that for certain my daughter has inherited my luck! Some call me accident prone, but I don't necessarily agree with that... my problem is more wrong place, wrong time kind of genuine, plain bad luck. And darn it all, of all the things she could get from me, that had to be it!
And no, it didn't stop there! She also got same said foot caught under the tv stand at home while I was changing the laundry... and more later!
I know what you're thinking... "Are you crazy?? After everything she goes through, this is a bad day??!" Well, my answer to that is, everything else is so routine- the surgeries, the tests, the unexpected hospital stays, blah, blah, blah, BLAH! But to experience things that most regular people would consider a bad day, well that's what hit her hard! And she was sad :( It broke my heart so much that I wanted to buy her a pony or something... but we settled on a walk to the park that's near our new place (we hadn't been there yet). And well, I think it did the trick...
And you can see the goose egg on her noggin here
But, as I mentioned, her bad luck didn't end after the visit to the park! Right as we were about to put little miss in bed so she could "start over" her tube got caught and came clean out of her stomach, and that was actually the second time this week that happened. It happened on the fateful Tuesday as well when I was getting her in the car, it got caught on the car door. She was remarkably brave for both these situations though. And after we put in a brand new button (she was way overdue anyway!), she did go to sleep, and I gave her some Motrin for her poor head, foot and tummy!
Sorry to the squeamish (really I use to be one of you!), but just thought I'd post a picture of it out in case anyone was curious as to what it looks like! Small for a reason, so you can click on it to make it bigger if you so dare!
Still cannot believe all that she endured today, and I'm so proud of her and inspired by her! What a grown up girl I have!
Em at the cemetery on Tuesday
Wearing aunt Bre's dress and holding one of her favorite toys (Patch from 101 Dalmatians, her favorite movie)
Here's to better days from here on out!




2 comments:
Glad the park went well. My first thought was, "Hmmm, maybe you better stay home with your luck today!" ;P Glad I was wrong!!
Oh poor thing....both of you! She is gorgeous. Bre would be proud!
Post a Comment