*Play song, "Frustrated" with this post
Haha, I've always wanted to have a blog post with that title.... and probably could have before now, just wanted it to be truly fitting ;)
Haha, I've always wanted to have a blog post with that title.... and probably could have before now, just wanted it to be truly fitting ;)
So, before I post pictures and stories from #12, there is just some things that need to be said about staying in a hospital and trying (oh what a funny word right now) to get sleep.
As it is, it is 3:27 am (and you can bat at my grammar all you want, but you try this one handed at this time of night!), and a lot of things have not been "our friend" tonight. I think this term comes from the teacher in me, and how I must be nice to even those things that are really the bane of my existence (really hate that term though!).
Number one would be pain and all the things we've tried to unsuccessfully control it with (Nubaine, Lortab, and now Morphine... all of which are creating a lot of gas as well, which lets face it, doesn't help either!). Sad, sad, sad that my girl wakes up every 10 minutes pain contorting her face, expelling a cough or two that you can tell are excruciating... and then eventually can be comforted enough to go back to sleep until the next 10 minutes. SUCKS! And I would take the rest of it gladly, if I didn't have to watch my baby through this (meaning that she didn't have to be in pain, not that I just didn't have to see it).
Now, that was my number one, and like I said, I would take all the rest of this in a heartbeat if it meant that my girl could be pain free... but lets face it, she just had the back of her throat torn out, and life is just that something like that should hurt. No matter how much we don't want it to. So now I will go on with what else is bothering me, and that is all things pertaining to "sleep time" at a hospital.
For one, nothing, and I'll repeat that with a big fat nothing is comfortable to sleep on here. Therefore, no position is comfortable either. And yes, it seems such a waste that my little 3 year old is in this massive (to her) hospital bed, and what a shame to waste the rest of the space, but she is a little less than willing to share. Yet, she gets mad when you go too far away, so really it's a win-win there *sigh*
It wouldn't be all bad if all rooms were created equal, and it's sad that we know enough of this hospital to know that is far from the truth! For instance, last time we stayed in the PICU, we had what was best described as a fold-out couch that fit both of us comfortably and neither of us had to leave the side of our desperately sick girl at the time. Even the room on the medical unit that we had when we first got here that time, had one of the foldout chairs, but it was wide, and still fit both of us somewhat nicely. Different story after we moved off the PICU back to the medical unit (but not the same room as before, obviously!), just the tiniest foldout chair, that barely fits one.
Don't even get me started on what we have right now, I'll just say that I'd gladly take the small foldout tonight! We have a recliner (which Steve is inhabiting at the moment) and a stationary, low back chair (which I am inhabiting at the moment), and if you're in the chair, well lets just say that sleep is not an option (hence why I'm blogging).
Also, something has to be said for the nursing staff and the fact that they never change the volume of their voices to reflect what time it is... I mean I guess it's all the same to them, but have a little respect at least that it is 2 am, andpeople well lets rephrase that, patients are trying to get at least a little sleep so that they may recover... and then it has to be said, their parents are too, so that they may care for them at their best *oh wow, sorry about that one!*
Also, something has to be said for the nursing staff and the fact that they never change the volume of their voices to reflect what time it is... I mean I guess it's all the same to them, but have a little respect at least that it is 2 am, and
So, in closing
Pain, pain go away, come again NEVER
And please Primary, for the love of everything, could you just consider making all rooms equal for those of us that take refuge in here all the time and consider it unfair that someone has our old room (you know the one with the nice ((well nice for a hospital)) sleeping arrangements!). And maybe, lets keep things down to about a 4, that's not asking too much is it?!
And one more thing, one of the funniest rants like this I've read from another parent living in a hospital, was from my friend Kelly (mentioned her in this post), you'll have to read her post "On The Benefits of Being Blind" it's hilarious!
That is all. Pictures and story from #12 to come tomorrow if I ever get some sleep!




3 comments:
I don't know if they do this at your hospital, but one beef I had with the hospital that Cooper stayed in was that they would only give you ONE room service meal per room! I would assume most babies have two parents, but apparently the hospital thinks only one of them needs to eat! Sometimes you have wonder what is going through these hospital administrator's heads!
I think they make it miserable so we leave ASAP. They don't want us to get too comfortable, right? I know they need to check vitals, but be reasonable and touch her forehead for temp and lightly touch her wrist for a pulse... then walk away and no one gets hurt :)
I step out into the hall and give the nurses the stink eye when they are being loud during the night. So rude.
Post a Comment