CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Tree

It was maybe a few days.... maybe a few weeks after the darkest day in mine and my family's lives. Late September 1994, some neighbors, also parents of my sister's little friends knocked on our door, one of them holding a tiny tree in a pot. They told us they would like to plant this tree in honor of our sweet Breanne. We were touched, but had no idea that it would continue to aid in the healing of our hearts. 

September 13, 1995 we heard voices out front, I looked out the window and saw same said parents along with their kids decorating the tree with ribbons. An honoring of the anniversary of her death. We were honored. It continued for at least the next 3 years. 

We began plans to move away from that house that had been our home for more than 10 years when I was finishing up junior high in 1998. It occurred to us that we would have to leave the tree behind and we were deeply saddened by it. My parents told the people buying our house what the tree meant to us and that if they ever felt the need to remove it, we would transport it to where we lived. They didn't think they would ever want to remove it, so we moved on hoping it would be well taken care of. 

About a year after we moved, we found out that the new owners of our old house did decide they didn't want the tree anymore.... but sadly the cost of transporting it was out of the realm of possibility, we had to accept the fact that we would need to let it go, even though we were devastated by the idea. We drove by our old stomping grounds from time to time, we still had friends in that neighborhood after all, and were always surprised to see the tree still standing tall and growing even taller. Years went by and it was always still there, we began to believe that they had changed their minds and our "Bre Tree" would remain. 

This past spring, I was in the neighborhood I basically grew up in again visiting one of my best friends. I had my camera with me and decided I needed a picture of "Bre Tree" since I hadn't seen it in awhile and really don't know how much longer it will really be there since I have no idea who is living in "our" house anymore. I had failed on more than one occasion to try to get a picture when there was no one around.... but I chanced it again and luckily not a soul in sight! I parked the car across the street just in case and snapped as fast as I could. It's amazing how this tree can still take my breath away with how much it has grown! 


I remember when it was first planted, it was as tall as me. It may not be the best looking tree, or the coolest.... but it will always be my favorite tree. It is to me new growth and hope in place of the doubt and despair that came the day she left this world. 

Keep growing "Bre Tree" 

2 comments:

Candice said...

Is this a river birch? We just planted one in our backyard. Now it will remind me of your sweet sister.

Candice said...

We planted ours on Sept 5.