CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 6, 2014

Hallie LaRue Peters a Birth Story Part 1



9/21/14

My last full day of pregnancy... Tomorrow I will be induced for the first time ever. I'm feeling very indifferent right now. Part of me is sad that this is most likely the last full day I will be pregnant. I'm guessing that part will become more pronounced once this is all truly over. But mostly right now, I mostly feel immense relief that it will be over soon. 

Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks since I started labor.... Labor that doesn't do what it's supposed to do, as in, I'm not dilating. It is the same thing that happened with Em, and I'm not sure I can truly portray to you how awful it was then. Only those that witnessed it firsthand can really know. That would be mainly Steve, but my brother and sister-in-law who were living with us at the time, were front row witnesses too. Though when the worst was going on, it was right after their baby was born, so they had more to focus on. But I consistently contracted with her for two weeks.... Yes, that means I had strong contractions every 5-7 minutes for 2 weeks straight. The last 72 hours before she was born, was pure hell. I had hard labor contractions (those are what are considered the pushing contractions at the very end, not supposed to last 72 hours, and not suppose to start before you've even dilated), these contractions were on top of each other, so I couldn't sleep, eat, or even feel like I could breathe, it was terrible. 

I can't even tell you how many times I went to the hospital during that time, only to be continuously sent home. The nurses felt awful because they could see the contractions, but my doctor wouldn't do anything because I wasn't progressing, I still was not dilated even a half a centimeter, only about 40% effaced, my water hadn't broken and I wasn't past my due date. I was offered shots of morphine, but I quickly learned that they didn't help much, so I began declining them. The last time I left there before being able to stay, I remember the nurse saying to come back if it got any worse, after all it was finally my due date... But I remember thinking that if it got any worse, I'd probably be dead. 

That night I kept switching from our jacuzzi in the master bath (I miss our house) to the bed. Steve was rubbing my back and applying counter pressure to my hips. I was so exhausted, but amidst the biggest contraction yet, I finally exclaimed that we could go to the hospital and they wouldn't be able to send me home! Steve asked why, and I said, my water broke! He asked if I was sure, and I said I was positive. Seeing it though, Steve asked if it was supposed to be that color.... Green and a lot of blood, I told him I didn't think so, and we should probably get there soon. I hopped in the shower real fast, still heavily contracting, but with a new found energy and adrenaline knowing the end was finally in sight. Steve got us to the hospital at lightning speed, and when a security guard saw us coming in, he quickly grabbed a wheelchair and escorted us up. 

It was rather slow that night (most people plan better than to have their baby's birthday on Christmas Eve I suppose... But probably people who don't have problems conceiving), so I was able to get my epidural within 15 mins of arriving. When checked, I still was barely a half a centimeter, so the nurses told me it would probably be awhile and that I should get some rest. I didn't need to be told twice... But my nap didn't last long, I woke up and there was a nurse in there because she was concerned about her heart rate. I told her I felt like I was going to throw up, so she got me a bucket, and then lifted the sheet to check the monitors on my belly. She then panicked, saying if you throw up, your baby will be out, and I don't have a doctor. She then hit buttons for medical emergency and in came a full team, turns out they were concerned about the fluid color as well, and the fact that this happened so fast. I went from not dilated hardly at all, to baby crowning in 15 minutes. And little miss Em pretty much birthed herself, I never even pushed, which is probably good since I don't think I contained the strength to do so. 

Em was born under complete distress, with a low heart rate, pretty much listless and not breathing. It felt like an enternity to finally hear her strained cry. They kept trying to suction and vacuum out her lungs, but were having a really hard time, and that's when they discovered her cleft and all her other issues and whisked her to the NICU before I could even get a good look at her. We didn't see her again for 6 hours and most of you know the rest... 

Of course I had anxiety about Ryker's birth being that bad, but his was actually perfect in hindsight. I had maybe 2 days or contractions and dilated fine. My doctor did break my water, but I was already a 6 by then, but my cervix still hadn't moved from it's extremely posterior normal position. But once my water was broken, things really progressed and he was born about 2 hours later, with hardly any pushing as well. So after that, I chalked Em's horrible birth to being related to her special needs.... But I'm doing the same thing now, so it's enough to make anyone anxious about the outcome. 

Thankfully though, this one hasn't been nearly as bad as all that. But still really hard. The contractions are more pressure contractions that start below my ribs, and are like a strong wave that goes all the way down to my legs. Some are a lot more painful than others, they are lasting 1:30-2 minutes and coming about 5 minutes apart. But I'm still a 2 like I've been for the past month now. My doctor has taken pity on me, but not soon enough in my opinion, but at least it will be over tomorrow and I can finally meet this little girl who's been causing all this trouble ;)

I got a call a little after 5 this evening from the hospital wanting to know if I was still planning on coming in the next day, unfortunately they couldn't give me any kind of time frame, only told me which number I was on the list. I hated not knowing, but what could I do.

To be continued..... 

No comments: